Wednesday, June 30, 2010

How I became a Kasey Kahne fan in a half of a race


Everyone can probably recall how they became fans of their favorite driver. Maybe they can describe it better than I can do for myself. Maybe theirs is probably more glamorous than mine, but I can assure you mine is worth hearing. I had always been a NASCAR fan. In the late 1990's, like my dad, I was a Dale Earnhardt Sr. fan, but then again, how can a eight-year-old pick a different driver when all that was in the house was Dale Sr. fans. In 2001, when Dale Sr. die, I knew that I did not want to like the same driver as my dad. So I decided i needed to find a new driver. That was when i saw Dale Jarrett race for the first time in my eyes. I knew then that I had found my new favorite driver. Now, this lasted for about two years until i decided not to watch NASCAR anymore. i wouldn't watch another race until May of 2006, three years after my last. I can tell you right now that i didn't watch the whole thing though. I was upstairs in my room. For some reason, I don't remember what, I came down the stairs to find my dad, a Dale Jr. fan, watching the 2006 Coca-Cola 600 on FOX. Intrigued, I sat down in the nearest spot and started watching. On a commercial break, they showed a Kasey Kahne commercial. I thought, "Man, he's cute!" As the night went on, Kasey Kahne raced the best race I had every seen in years! right then and there I knew I had found my new favorite driver. I had said this out loud and my sister Rachael had said the words I will never forget. "You only like him because you like he's cute!" Well, she wasn't entirely wrong though. What she had wrong was the fact that wasn't the only reason I like him. I knew he was a great driver and he could win races. Till this day, I remain a Kasey Kahne fan, watching him go to victory lane countless times, watching him barely miss a win, watching his engines blow, watching him make the chase for the first time in his career, sticking with him as he had a bad season in 2007, going win less that same year, watching him go back to victory lane at the same place I watched him go to victory just two years before, just barely missing the chase. As you can see, I have been behind Kasey Kahne for four years and I am pretty sure that I will still be his fan until the day I die. I am a die-hard Kasey Kahne and proud of it! A true NASCAR fan sticks with their driver through good times and bad, not jumping ship when things don't go your way. If someone would call me an obsessed fan girl of Kasey Kahne, I wouldn't deny it. I would proudly say, "Yes, I am! Do you have a problem with that?" and proudly display my alliance with Kasey on my shirt and root for him every weekend no matter what! I can proudly say that Kasey Kahne made me like NASCAR again.

No comments:

Post a Comment