Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chad Knaus penalized big by NASCAR for illegal C-posts, Hendrick plans to appeal


We all knew the 48 team was going to get penalize, but we didn’t think it was going to be this big! NASCAR just handed out a hefty punishment for both Chad Knaus and his car chief Ron Malec for illegal C-posts on Jimmie Johnson’s Daytona 500 car. Both Knaus and Malec have been suspended for 6 races, Chad has been fined $100K, and both have been put on probation until May 9th. If you ask me, I think this is a tad too harsh. NASCAR had said that the C-posts weren’t how they were supposed to be, but not by much. How does fractions of an inch or whatever it was amount to that big of a penalty? I’ve been thinking about this and thinking about what went through NASCAR’s mind when they came up with this punishment for Knaus and Malec? Cheating down solve anything, especially when you get caught. This is Chad’s first offense and I don’t think it’s going to be his last. Chad is always known for trying to find something new and NASCAR not liking it.


When I started this, I was thinking about the fan. What did the fans think? How did the fans react about the penalty? A lot of people were happy that Chad got punished so much. Others, not so much. So, to see exactly what they thought, I took it to twitter and Facebook and this is what I got.

@nascarlinds99_5 I think that the previous infractions may have played a part in the harshness, the repeat offender piece

‏@GERI13FAN I believe it's fair no worse than handed 2 MWR on windshield issue.Chad repeat offender, 4x I think, almost match champ # lol

‏ @denver2u Even tho NASCAR says differently, I think the penalties are harsher due to his past behavior..ie..told JJ to wreck car at Deg

Elizabeth Hickman I think if Chad wants to try something new with the car, he should contact NASCAR first and then see if they approve or disapprove I respect Jimmie but Chad is just fishy. I understand that he wants to push the limit in order to get an edge on the competition, but after all the times he's been caught...guy just needs to chill. He's smart no doubt but cheating gives you a bad reputation

Sarah Lingerfelt Same story, different year. Unless NASCAR or Rick comes down harder, its going to continue to happen

Christie Mack See I think he shouldn't have been fined...idk I'm sorta with Kyle petty on this. They went there to see what they could get away with. It didn't help them in anyway. However, it scares the other teams so they won't do it. And I'm with y'all I don't like Chad. Never had and don't think I ever will.

Courtney Cloutier I'm iffy...like part of me thinks it is a way too harsh penalty but then the other part is like he has done this before

@Timmycrews79 i think it was stupid that they fine him. they should have checked the 42car out more

@smokinace88 it’s bull crap! Clint Bowyer fails after his car was on track telling you they must have done something after the car passed. As for the 48 car it never was on track and they fixed the parts NASCAR told them to and passed so the penalty's is wrong!

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Here is mine. Yeah, Chad screwed up. Was it worth it? Probably not. Was the punishment fair? Absolutely not. Yeah, NASCAR had to issue a penalty. Was it the right one? What did they use to make their decision? Just what happened during Speed Weeks? His other offenses? We’re probably never going to know what they used to make the final decision. I’m glad that Hendrick plans to appeal. They could lose or they could win. We just have to wait and find out. Both Chad and Ron will be at Phoenix this weekend as the 48 team comes into the race 70 points out of first and 23 points in the hole. If they win the race and lead the most laps, they will still be behind. Good luck 48 team. You’re going to need it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Sam :) enjoyed this blog a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right, this is not fair punishment...the 48 team is now in a big hole if the Hendrick loses the appeal. A lot of fans even non 48 ones think this is unfair...then you have the people who aren't fans and just agree with NASCAR because they aren't fans. NASCAR could have handled this differently, and I do hope they win the appeal. Great blog, and thank you for putting me in it! Don't know if I'm still iffy...I think I'm on the side that it was way too harsh and NASCAR should rethink it! :)

    ReplyDelete