Monday, January 10, 2011

Colin Braun: NASCAR driver



As the years go on, NASCAR drivers are coming into the sport fairly young. 18, 19, 20 years old. Colin Braun, 22, is no exception. Signed by Roush Fenway in 2007, Colin has slowly become a household name. He won his first major NASCAR race on June 13th, 2009 (Michigan 200)(my 18th birthday). In 2010, Colin made the jump from the Truck series to the Nationwide series, piloting the #16 Conway-Freight Ford, joining fellow Rookie Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Nationwide Series Champion Carl Edwards. Colin made 24 starts this past season, earning 5 top 10’s, but also 7 DNFs. You can say that Colin’s rookie season was a rollercoaster, especially when he was benched for a select races. Then, on December 1st, Colin was released from his contract with Roush Fenway Racing because of sponsorship issues.


This piece of news rocked Twitter land, almost as much as the release of Trevor Bayne from DWR, or Kasey Kahne being released from his contract with RPM. The released raised some questions. What happened? Why did it happen? What was behind the split? It’s like a celebrity relationship, it happens. Sometimes, it doesn’t have a reason.


You’re probably wondering how I got Colin Braun to answer some questions. I have no clue, really. I tweeted him hoping to get a response, and I did. What comes to mind when you hear Colin Braun? Talented? Roush Fenway? I even got the answer of ‘surprisingly low water bill’ from the Nationwide series commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cayG6MjjUqM). Everybody is wondering, Who is Colin Braun?



How did you get into racing? My dad was an engineer for a race team so I grew up with the sport.



How old were you when your first raced? I started out in quarter midgets at age 5.
Who got you into racing? My Dad



What were your emotions when you found you that your were going to drive for Roush Fenway? I was really excited to take my career to the next level



What is the best experience you have had since starting? Wining the Michigan truck race!

Who help you the most in your racing career? Definitely my Dad



When you won your first Truck race, what were you feeling? Really excited!

Who is your biggest supporter? My family



Were there any people that thought you wouldn’t get to where you are now? Yeah there's always doubters of course, but I just stay focused on what my goals are and continue to learn what I can do better.



Do you have any idea of where you may be next season? Not yet. Still working on the details but I'll keep everyone posted!



What do you doing during the off-season? I work at my personal shop and try to go karting.



If you weren’t racing, what would you be doing? I love working on stuff and tinkering. I'd have to say I'd be a maintenance man!



What do you think about Jimmie Johnson making history? Pretty cool



Do you see yourself in the Cup series sometime soon? Hopefully! That's the goal!



Pre-race rituals? Superstitions? Nothing really. Just try to keep a clear head.



Do you do any charity work? I try to do as many autograph signings and charity events as possible.

Anything else you want your fans to know about you? Crazy habits? I love to mow my grass!


As you can see, Colin Braun started his racing career early, he has the support of his family, and he loves to mow his grass. Colin is a great driver, a great person, and full of talent. He great to his fans. He just needs a chance to show off his talents.


Colin can be found on twitter: www.twitter.com/colinbraun


You can find me on twitter: www.twitter.com/SamRaeBayne

1 comment: