Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Tony Stewart will NOT face criminal charges for the death of Kevin Ward Jr.

It’s all over. A Grand Jury has made the decision. Tony Stewart will not face criminal charges in the death of 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. The incident happened almost two months ago when Ward was struck by Stewart’s car August 9th, the night before the race at Watkins Glen. Stewart decided not to race, being replaced by Regan Smith. Stewart would miss the next two race, letting Jeff Burton race in his place. On August 30th, Tony returned to the Sprint Cup series. Stewart also released a statement during a press conference the Friday before the Cup race at Atlanta.
"This is been one of the toughest tragedies I've ever had to deal with, both professionally and personally. This is something that will definitely affect my life forever. This is a sadness and a pain I hope no one ever has to experience in their life. That being said, I know that the pain and the mourning that Kevin Ward's family and friends are experiencing is something that I can't possibly imagine. I want Kevin's father, Kevin Sr., his mother Pam and his sisters Christi, Kayla and Katelyn to know that every day I'm thinking about and praying for them.
"The racing community is a large family. As you guys know and everyone is saddened with this tragedy. I want to thank all my friends and family for their support through this tough, emotional time. And the support from the NASCAR community, my partners, all of our employees has been overwhelming. I've taken the last couple weeks off out of respect for Kevin and his family and also to cope with the accident in my own way. It's given me the time to think about life and how easy it is to take it for granted. I miss my team, my teammates, and I miss being back in the race car. I think that being back in the car this week with my racing family will help me get through this difficult time."

Also with the tragedy, NASCAR made a changed in rules that requires a driver to remain inside their car and wait for a NASCAR official to approach the car except in an emergency situations.

On September 16th, it was revealed that Tony’s case would be heard by a Grand Jury. On September 23rd, witnesses were heard and the Grand Jury deliberated. Just this afternoon, The Grand Jury decided that there was no evidence to criminally charge Tony Stewart with the death if Kevin Ward Jr. The toxicology report was also revealed, showing that Ward had marijuana is his system at the time of his death, enough to impair judgment. What does this mean for Kevin’s family? Do they go ahead with a civil case against Tony after what the toxicology report revealed?


The whole entire NASCAR community stood behind Tony the last month and a half and we’re all glad this is finally over.

1 comment:

  1. I'm on fanficnation.net as loganobaynegurl and found my way here from your link. I have a blog, too.

    ReplyDelete